Happy Thursday. Before we get to the MRONJ GIFs. We have to introduce you to our arch nemesis...
His name is Angus. He's the little guy in the clouds that decides what emails you see and what gets sent to promotions purgatory.
So to tell Angus, “hey, keep your dirty, grubby hands off emails from The Eval🦷” and make sure we show up in your primary inbox this is what you should do:
- Gmail users: Move us. A simple drag and drop of this email to the “primary” tab will tell Angus, “Stick it where the sun don’t shine.”
- Apple Mail Users: Make us important. Lightly tap on our email address (next to “From:” on mobile) at the top of the email to first get his attention. Then make us a VIP so there is no debate if we get into
the clubyour inbox.
- For everyone else: find out the strategy to crush Angus here.
- 🧠Knowledge Drop. A GIF-y 2022 update from the AAOMS
- 📈Trending: YouTuber tools for Dentists
- 💰Chart: How much money was dropped on dental care?
AAOMS Hears Some Boos
Knowledge. Officially. Dropped.
The American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons consistently spurts enough high quality, juicy information to fill the brain of any dentist. One of their more important and useful publications is that on medication-related osteonecrosis…
….and that position paper just got a bit of a tune-up.
3 of the OG researchers and a few new faces went back, reconsidered, and updated the paper for the first time since, Fancy was playing wayyyyy too much on the radio.
While general dentists don't need to know much about the staging or treatment of MRONJ...there are some pearls that should be in your knowledge bank.
🧠Extractions and MRONJ is significant
🧠Medications and Patient factors influence risk
🧠Mind the Mandible
🧠Dentures Can Be a Problem
🧠The Research on Drug Holidays with Extraction
🧠And some other important pearls
- 💊Romosozumab...is a new-ish osteoporosis medication that was not mentioned in the 2014 update
- 🤢Periodontal disease has been shown to be a risk factor in 50 percent of MRONJ cases
- 🤷They don't know the prevalence of MRONJ in patients on antiresorptives receiving implants, endo, or perio treatment
All this great information...and yet, there are still haters.
A letter to the editor of the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery expressed concerns that CT evaluation isn’t included in the diagnostic criteria.
The Italian oral surgeons and researchers called it an “oversight” to not put more emphasis on radiographic imaging.
The response from the AAOMS? Pending.
Patients= Burnt Holes= Pockets
It’s 2023. And like that one guy who peaked in high school- we are reminiscing about 2021.
A recent study published in Health Affairs reveals that dental spending reached $162 billion- up about 16% year over year
But c’mon. Let’s not act surprised….
- After spending most of 2020 at home watching Tiger King, there was a lot of dental work to be done- of course spending is going to increase.
And here’s the portion of the newsletter that we make a “bold” prediction…
Without stimulus checks, the fear of a looming recession, and this thing called inflation…it’s gonna be awhile until we are back to 2021 levels.